Saturday, August 9, 2008

Your 2008 Hugo Award Winners!

Thanks to the wonders of the Internet the winners of the Hugo award spread out from the ceremony to the world the second they're handed out.

Novel - The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
Novella - "All Seated on the Ground" by Connie Willis
Novelette - "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" by Ted Chiang
Short Story - "Tideline" by Elizabeth Bear
Best Professional Artist - Stephan Martiniere
Editor (Long Form) - David Hartwell
Editor (Short Form) - Gordon Van Gelder
Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form) - Stardust
Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form) - Doctor Who: "Blink"
Best Related Book - Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction by Jeff Prucher
Best Semiprozine - Locus
Best Fanzine - File 770
Best Fan Writer - John Scalzi
Best Fan Artist - Brad Foster

Congratulations to all the winners.

So how'd I do with my selections? For predictions that I made (all the fiction and dramatic presentation awards) I hit them all except short story. For my preferences "Tideline" was my second choice but "All Seated on the Ground" was far from my favorite novella; that was a selection based on the fact that the story would be a home town favorite.