Friday, November 9, 2007

On Strike...


What do you mean I don't get paid?

Okay, really I find something of worth in both sides of the current Hollywood writer's strike. Writers need some kind of set up in place for physical media free distribution like downloads and on-demand access but the studios don't have a real clue what the value of those distribution methods is yet. The studios make optimistic guesses for their investors which makes the writers ask for a fairly high share which really isn't there. But there could be something there tomorrow and the writers don't want to get stuck out in the cold like they have in other media changes in the past.

The obvious solution is to set up a graduated scale of residuals on those downloads but this is an industry where dishonesty in reporting on what a particular project made is a basic fact of life. It makes things complicated for negotiations. Still I guess it gives me time to catch up on watching stuff I missed...